Friday, October 27, 2006

The Eames Case Study House (#8)

The Eames House, Case Study House #8, Pacific Palisades, CA.

A little trip outside of Orange County for something really special. These designers created a world of geometry and science in art which planted the seeds for Googie. The Eames' are my everything, and it was something magical to visit their home and studio in Pacific Palisades. Please enjoy.












The Eames house was built in 1949 in about three days, by hand, with off-the-shelf steel parts. Originally designed in 1946 with Eero Saarinen, the layout was rearranged to accomodate the beautiful meadow that the real estate contained. The house was instead nestled in the corner within the meadow. The Eames' occupied the house until their deaths.

Having watched all the Eames' films available on dvd, I was wowed to see little details inside the house that I had seen in House: After 5 Years of Living and other Eames' films. I would have taken photos, but it was asked that I only take photos of the exterior (although you can see the beautiful staircase in one of the photos, through the open doorway).

The Eames' House is open year-round for exterior-only tours, although the curtains and doors are open to be able to look inside. The home is still filled with Eames furniture, from the fiberglass molded chairs to the lounge chair.

I even convinced my boyfriend how great the Eames are. He's dying for an armchair, trying to get me to buy one for him-- sure, when I have a spare $5000! (Herman Miller still manufactures them).

1 comment:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wow, I am amazed and impressed. Thanks for the images of this iconic house. Just keep searching for a chair, some people even end up throwing them away!